Saturday, December 12, 2009

A change is as good as a rest, right?

Next week is the end of an era for me. I decided back in October to resign from my permanent teaching job and switch to doing supply teaching. My notice period is up next week, so I will leave on Wednesday. I've been there for ten years, so my plan is that a change will be as good as a rest. Teaching is family friendly in that you get holidays the same as your children, but it is not so flexible if something happens during term time such as a child being ill and needing hospital visits. Of course, I have had time off to be with Alex over recent months as I am entitled to it, but it is not limitless, and I have juggled childcare at other times. Supply teaching will give me more flexibility as I can choose when to make myself available for work. If Alex or Sophie is poorly, then I don't work that day.

I will be sad to leave the children at school, and the staff too, but this decision is not one I have made lightly, and it is definitely the right one. My parents were not impressed initially, but after I explained it all to them, they too can see that in the long run it will be the right choice for me. It was announced at the Christmas concert on Tuesday night that I would be leaving, and I must admit that I was very touched by the reaction of the children and their parents, their obvious feelings that I should not be leaving brought a lump to my throat.

So January 2010 will see a new start in terms of employment for me. I am confident that I can pick up plenty of supply work fairly locally. Now all I need is to send out my CV to local schools.

The last couple of weeks have been difficult emotionally. I carried out a supreme act of kindness for someone, and then had it thrown back into my face very unpleasantly, which took by totally by surprise. I was deeply, deeply upset and hurt by everything that happened, so I will be thinking very carefully about anything I do in future for others. It's a shame really, but I can't face going through all that again.

Anyway, time to get up and ready to face the world. Today I am going to the gym first, then we are off to see Where the Wild Things Are at the cinema. Have a great day, wherever you are!

2 comments:

anita said...

good luck in your new employment (you know the choices i made for similar reasons).
regarding your act of kindness, please don't let the meanness of one person stop you being a loving and giving person, don't let them change you! it's their problem they are the way they are, not yours! don't become like them :)
anita
x

Anonymous said...

stuff them Anna.