Friday, January 29, 2010

So how has your week been?

It seems as if time is rushing past me at the moment. I have been really busy since New Year, sorting out this, that and the other. This week has been an assortment of dental appointments, swine flu jabs, chiropractic appointments and time spent doing all the usual mundane things that being a parent involves. Sophie had to have a filling and Alex was having a filling and a tooth out. Unfortunately, Alex's extraction didn't go quite to plan, so she ended up screaming in the dentist's chair. All very traumatic for both her and me, it is times like that when being a parent is so, so hard. Watching your child being put through a painful procedure is something I don't want to repeat.

I managed to find some bunk beds to fit in Alex's room, the smallest bedroom in the house. It was a challenge to say the least, as shorty bunk beds in general seem to come with narrow mattresses, and that was something I didn't want to buy. I finally found a company which made bunks in different lengths but with a full width, 3 foot mattress. The bunks are 5'9" in length, and so fit beautifully. Alex's last bed was a divan single, which fitted well, but bunks are always longer, so wouldn't fit at all. I started putting the beds together last night, and finished them off today. All I have to do this evening is attach the safety bar and ladder, then Alex can have her first night in her new bed! I am hoping she sleeps all night in the bunk, as she has a habit of waking and coming in to my bed. She has been better since I got her a thicker duvet and a sheepskin effect under sheet, so maybe the attraction of sleeping in a bunk bed will keep her there every night.

I made the decision to renew my membership to the WAY foundation a couple of months ago. I paid my membership fee in October or November, then forgot to tell the membership secretary that I had done it, so I finally got round to emailing her. I have no doubt that there are some people I know through WAY who will presume I rejoined because I am single again, but I actually joined before everything changed over New Year. If it gives them something to obsess over, so be it, it gives me a bit of a giggle to think that they have nothing more interesting to fill their lives with! Something I have discovered is that, sadly, having widowhood in common with someone does not mean you will find kindred spirits. There are some really bitter people out there, and I am determined not to become one of those people. I was dealt an unkind hand when Nigel died, and life is full of struggles, but the one thing I want to do is live my life to the full, and give my girls the most positive experience I possibly can. I have been thinking a great deal about the events of August 10th 2006 lately, remembering how everything changed in an instant. Tears are still shed from time to time, but a lot less frequently than they were in the early days. Perhaps the thing I find most sad is that Nigel can not see how his girls have grown into wonderful young ladies. Yes, if you share my religious beliefs in heaven, he can see from there, but he is not here with us now to experience the fantastic journey with these two girls. I love them both so very, very much, and even though it is hard word, it is worth every minute!

My craft room is still in chaos, must get in there this weekend and put it all away. My desk is pure white now, and the walls are pale blue. Looks ace, so I will finish it all off very soon and share pics.

Have a great weekend wherever you are!


No comments: